Bookish End of Year Survey 2018 (Part 1)
It’s the end of 2018! Somehow! This fact is very hard to believe, and in fact I’m not quite sure I DO believe it, but for the sake of this post we’re going to say we believe that it’s somehow 2019 already, and do the 2018 end of year survey! Which is actually the 2017 end of year survey with the dates changed! But that’s besides the point! (It’s hosted over at The Perpetual Page Turner, where I think there is legitimately a 2018 end of year survey but I’d already copy pasted these questions onto here when I realized that, and there was no way I was going to redo all that hard work.) (So much hard work I know. Copy pasting a few questions.)
(Also this survey is WAY TOO LONG to do all in one post, so you can expect part two soon!)
Number Of Books You Read: 200 (Well less than that technically because there were a few that I read more than once this year, but… you know what I mean.)
Number of Re-Reads: According to my goodreads shelf 18, but one of them was read… three times this year. (Simon Vs. No shock there.)
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy or contemporary… I’m too lazy to actually put the effort into counting…
1. Best Book You Read In 2018?
JUST ONE??? How. How could you ask this of me? (Here’s a few:)
- Tess of the Road
- Six of Crows
- Crooked Kingdom
- Shades of Magic series
- Radio Silence
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue
- The Lady’s Guide to Petticoats and Piracy
- A Thousand Perfect Notes
- The Foxhole Court
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
- Girl Made of Stars
- Muse of Nightmares
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Thankfully I didn’t have too many disappointments, but… Queen of Air and Darkness was amazing, but it was also a little… lacking. It wasn’t the most satisfying conclusion. And same thing for Summer Bird Blue, which I was SO hyped for after reading Starfish, and it was good, I just also couldn’t really get into it.
And I had such high hopes for Circe, and it was quite frankly REALLY BORING.
Also as much as it was a very good book, I was really disappointed to find that I just didn’t click with the writing style of Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I liked Shatter Me! I went into hoping to like it, but also sort of expecting to hate it. And I didn’t hate it. In fact, I quite liked it, and I fell head over heels in love with the GORGEOUS writing style. So that was quite the pleasant surprise!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
I pushed quite a few of my friends to read A Darker Shade of Magic, because I LOVE IT. And all my friends loved it too so that was a win!
5. Best series you started in 2018? Best Sequel of 2018? Best Series Ender of 2018?
So we’re going to ignore the series I binged in a week in 2018 because otherwise my answers to this would all just be SoC and ADSOM, and as much as they’re wonderful and amazing and I love them, I also read some other AMAZING books that deserve my love.
The best series starter of 2018 goes to Ace of Shades. It was such a fantastic, exciting, wonderful book and I feel head over heels for the characters! I need King of Fools ASAP.
The best sequel is Smoke and Iron which was AMAZING. I am obsessed with this series and it needs way more love!! Go read it. I love it. It’s fantastic.
And the best series ender of the year HAS to be Muse of Nightmares. Can we just talk about how FREAKING AMAZING this book was?? I HAVE FEELINGS. TOO MANY FEELINGS.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2018?
Alice Oseman and Mackenzi Lee! I fell in love with Gentleman’s Guide early this year, and I just HAD to track down This Monstrous Thing as well, and while it was no Gentleman’s Guide, it was still great. And then Lady’s Guide came along and did nothing but solidify my love for Mackenzi Lee’s books!
And I started reading Alice Oseman’s Heartstopper out of curiosity/boredom one day and I’ve been following it obsessively ever since. And then I checked Radio Silence out of my library and, what do you know, it was by the same author! (Lol I’d legitimately had no clue oops). And anyways her books are amazing and I love them!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Into the Drowning Deep. This book is adult horror. And I, who never reads horror (or adult books lol) read this book. And it was terrifying and I hated myself for reading it but also it was SO GOOD and I cannot recommend it enough!!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Warcross and Wilcard were both IMPOSSIBLE to put down. And I loved them. And Wildcard definitely kept me up way way too late reading.
9. Book You Read In 2018 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Well I’m rereading all the Leigh Bardugo books right now for King of Scars.
I also really want to revisit Shades of Magic, All For the Game, and Radio Silence.
And (so many rereads lol) I plan to reread the whole Ink and Bone series before the fifth book comes out this summer.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2018?
11. Most memorable character of 2018?
Kaz Brekker. I mean all the Dregs honestly, but there’s something especially memorable about Kaz. (Probably his very particular brand of evil genius with a touch of big softy at heart.)
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2018?
- Tess of the Road was GORGEOUSLY written, and just completely blew me away!
- Starfish was written in the most raw, real, gorgeously heartbreaking way possible and wow.
- Strange the Dreamer/Muse of Nightmares just have such lovely writing? And I love it.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2018?
Well I read The Hate U Give this year soooo… It easily takes this prize. It was such a wonderful, horrifying, incredibly thought provoking book.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2018 to finally read?
SIX OF CROWS. AKA ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVOURITE SERIES OF EVER??? AND I DIDN’T READ IT UNTIL THIS YEAR???? WHY WAS I SO DUUUUUMB???
And also SHADES OF MAGIC. I LOVES IT. SO MUCH. AND YET I DIDN’T READ IT UNTIL THIS YEAR. I was such an idiot.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2018?
“Kell wore a very peculiar coat.From this quote (aka the VERY BEGINNING) on, I knew I was going to love this book.
It had neither one side, which would be conventional, nor two, which would be unexpected, but several, which was, of course, impossible.
The first thing he did whenever he stepped out of one London and into another was take off the coat and turn it inside out once or twice (or even three times) until he found the side he needed. Not all of them were fashionable, but they each served a purpose. There were ones that blended in and ones that stood out, and one that served no purpose but of which he was just particularly fond.” – A Darker Shade of Magic, V.E. Schwab
“Perhaps she was glass. But glass is only brittle until it breaks. Then it’s sharp.” – Vengeful, V.E. SchwabI just love this quote? So much? There’s so much amazing badassery in this book!
“The great tragic love story of Percy and me is neither great nor truly a love story, and is tragic only for its single-sidedness. It is also not an epic monolith that has plagued me since boyhood, as might be expected. Rather, it is simply the tale of how two people can be important to each other their whole lives, and then, one morning, quite without meaning to, one of them wakes to find that importance has been magnified into a sudden and intense desire to put his tongue in the other’s mouth.” – The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue, Mackenzi LeeThis line just never fails to crack me up! Every. Single. Time.
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2018?
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
VENGEFUL. BECAUSE IT MADE ME FEEL THINGS I WASN’T SUPPOSED TO FEEL FOR A CERTAIN CHARACTER. I won’t say who but… if you’ve read the book you know who I mean! HOW. WHY. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. NO. (But I loved it sososososososo much for it! MY HEAAAAART!!!)
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Too many to count.
- Rhy and Alucard (MY HEART!)
- Jesper and Wylan (SO CUTE!)
- Evelyn and Celia (AGHHH IT HUUUURTS!)
- Lazlo and Sarai (SO SWEET)
- Radu and Cyprian (+ Fatima and Nazira!)
- Monty and Percy (I LOVE)
- Charlie and Nick (AHHHHFGFDGHGHGFGH SO MANY FEELINGS!)
- Kell and Lila (SO GOOD)
- Arthur and Ben (GFGHGFGHGFGFDF)
- Tanner and Sebastian (MY HEEEART.)
- Kaz and Inej (GAH THIS ROMANCE)
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Frances and Aled! I loooove this friendship! And also Thyon and Calixte have such a fun relationship!!! Ohhhh and can we talk about Kell and Rhy’s relationship??? THE BEST. Oooh and I ADORE Nina and Inej’s friendship!!!!!
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2018 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Shades of Magic! I read Monsters of Verity last year, and I loved it so much I just HAD to read ADSOM, and THANK GOODNESS I DID BECAUSE HELLO NEW FAVOURITE.
21. Best Book You Read In 2018 That You Read Solely Based On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Shatter Me? I mean I already sorta wanted to read it, but I probably wouldn’t have actually picked it up if one of my friends hadn’t told me I should read it! And I’m really glad I did read it, because it’s just? So enjoyable?
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2018?
Aaaand I still don’t get crushes on fictional characters.
23. Best 2018 debut you read?
- Let’s Talk About Love – I just really loved this book? It was fluffy and fun and sweet and so worth reading!
- A Thousand Perfect Notes – This book BROKE MY HEART INTO A MILLION TINY PIECES AND I LOVED IT FOR IT.
- The Disasters – Oh. My. Gosh. This book was so funny and fun and I’m obsessed!! I looooooved it!!!!
So that’s the first half of the questions! I always have soooo much fun writing this sort of wrap up posts, so I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did 🙂